Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Homemade Toothpaste

I know I'm not the only one out there with sensitivity to SLS & SLFS (Sodium Lauryl Sulfate and Sodium Laureth Sulfate).
I have already cut them out of my haircare and am using the "No'Poo" Method
Simple Mom
Crunchy Betty

Unfortunately, I am not one of those "I thought I had oily hair and skin . . . .but then found out otherwise", but I knew that . . . my mom and dad both have oily skin . . . as does my brother . . . you see where I am going here.

Any who . . . I have been 'poo free for 6 weeks now.  I did have an initial surge of oil production, but it waned in 10 days.  For weeks three and four I could get away with washing every 4 days.  Now that I've settled in, it's every two to three.  As a "conditioner" I add a 50/50 blend of Apple Cider Vinegar/Organic Lemon Juice, adding 3 tsp to 3 cups of water.  My hair looks great!
My counselor (a guy) remarked on it and wrote down all of the nitty gritty (ha ha, the reason I even mentioned it to him is I had NOT rinsed properly and had leftover baking soda paste behind me ear . . . gritty! :)  )details . . . .

Ok, back on topic . . .

Tooth paste.  My mom had always used a blend of salt and baking soda.  Kept it in a little yellow Tupperware container on her bathroom counter.  She has always had amazing teeth.

I had to cut out a majority of commercial toothpastes due to SLS and SLFS.  So I figured I'd try this:
3 T. Organic Coconut Oil (melts at 76 degrees F)
3 (or more) T Baking Soda
1/4 tsp ground cloves (you can also substitute with 10 drops of peppermint essential oil; I was out, so I used cloves)

Coconut Oil is naturally antimicrobial.  As are cloves and peppermint oil . . .

I'll let you know how it works for me!

1 comment:

  1. This reminds me of the episode of Family Guy when Brian was dating the older woman and when he asked for toothpaste she said "oh just use a baking soda" :)

    ReplyDelete